Monday, April 12, 2010

Shooting a dead horse



LOOK I LOVE MY CHILDREN AND I WOULD DO ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING FOR THEM. BUT IN LIFE SOMETIMES THAT DOESN'T WORK.

On facebook a friend had a link to another blog post. http://www.phdinparenting.com/2010/04/12/its-not-about-picking-on-moms-it-is-about-breaking-down-societal-barriers

Where while i was reading i was going back and forth. It got me thinking. Why is it mother's are so quick to attack one another. Look i don't give a shit. Breastfeed or formula feed. Its what works for you. I do not think its a selfish or lazy mother that formula feeds. I think its a mother who is doing for her child. I do not think its a better way for breastfeeding mothers. I see it again as doing for your child.

Look the truth is not many people my age were breastfeed as a baby. Its an 80's thing. To much hair and rock. My mother nor my aunts breastfeed. I don't even think my own grandmother did... i should find out. Either way. We are all still here to tell the tale. So to speak.

I know people who are so PRO BREASTFEEDING & those who are PRO FORMULA. I just don't get why their are sides.

Yes maybe breastfeeding is better for the baby in the long run. But really how does one know that. Just because a study tells you so? Look what happened the with study about CHILD VACCINATIONS AND AUTISM. The medical journal The Lancet retracted
a controversial 1998 paper that linked the measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) vaccine to autism. The study subsequently had been discredited, and last week, the lead author, Dr. Andrew Wakefield, was found to have acted unethically in conducting the research.

So why listen to what a study tells you. Your the parent. You are the one that raises the child not a study. If breastfeeding is for you do it. If formula is well do that. I have done both. I drove myself insane trying to breastfeed because everyone around was saying its the best and only thing really and blah blah.....in the end i couldn't make enough milk for any of my boys. My oldest is 5 years old now. And he is one of the smartest kids in his class and an amazing child. I don't say that had anything to do with what he was feed as a baby. It was how he was raised.

Remember no matter what you choose it's between you and your baby.
As long as the child is hitting milestones, gaining weight and doing all that other cute things baby's do... tell the world to kiss your ass.

I am done with people making others feel like less of a parent because they don't do parenting 101 as they do.

I have many different friends that parent different then i do. Would i do what they do no. But that's because its not my style. Everyone has their own PARENTING 101 CLASS. Follow your gut. And don't let the nah Sayer's get you down.

BREAST OR FORMULA
You make the call.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here, here, melissa!
It's so true that women who choose to formula feed or have to formula feed are usually thought of by some other mothers as less than or something...You know my story...you know that I personally feel that breast was best for Morgan, but at 6 months he rejected the breast and the milk all together. I tried to learn ways to wean myself off of nursing without pain and I switched to formula feeding. You also know that all the research I found to "help" me told me to force him to nurse or force the breast milk on him...THAt's INSANE! breast milk has many wonderful benefits, but if your baby doesn't want it, I strongly believe it is very, very wrong to force it upon them!
Formula is healthy and it is safe. It is every woman's choice to nurse or formula feed or do both and both decisions are perfectly fine and no one should ever, ever be villainized for how they choose to feed their baby!!!

Anonymous said...

I so agree with you and yet I'm not a parent. Some moms do want to breast feed their child, and some just don't care to breast feed. Either way its their choice and they're the ones that have to live with that.

I also understand that when breast feeding some woman aren't able to produce enough milk for the baby and are then told to use formula. To me seeing someone that wants to breast feed and isn't able to is sad, I felt so bad when a few of my friends were told they didn't produce enough milk.

Bottom line as you said Melissa, everyone is going to have their own views and ways of parenting, the only thing you can do is use your judgement when it comes to your child.